Bugzilla and spam harvesting

Jan Zerebecki jan.wine at zerebecki.de
Sun Oct 7 19:05:08 CDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 02:07:02PM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Should we modify our Bugzilla to hide email addresses at least a little?
> I'd like that myself, and users request it occasionally.
> Just now, somebody asked that he be removed from
> bugzilla because it doesn't do this.

Afaik this is not really possible with bugzilla as account names
are the email address, so hiding them would remove quite some
usability.

In theory one could hide email addresses from users that are not
logged in, but such a feature is not currently implemented in
bugzilla.

Users that don't want to provide a email address can still use
the bugmenot.com login to your bugzilla. But users better should
have a distinguishable account.

Also we could in principle change accounts to non-existent email
addresses if someone really does not want to use another way of
hiding his real email, but that doesn't scale and someone who
wants to actively participate in our project already reveals his
email address on the mailinglists and in the git changelog.

In the end there are various other ways to not reveal ones real
or main email address that are not specific to this case.

Jan