What happened to the Wine Newsletters?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Oct 10 05:00:11 CDT 2007

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Martin Bosner wrote:
[...]
> There are just not enough human resources fot that... But the
> releasenews for each new wine version should cover most interesting
> things that had happened. The short way.

I guess this was mostly humorous, but still, I feel compelled to say
that:

The release news are no substitute for the Wine Weekly News.

They are not even close. They are just one-line summaries of the top-5
changes in the release. Besides the other 5 top-10 items they miss, they
don't mention any of the discussions happening on wine-devel, nor any of
the talk about Wine in the news, or upcoming WineConfs, application
database improvements, etc.

The WWN was really nice. I fear that without it the wider community and
outsiders mostly see the 5 lines release news and think that not much is
happening (or think that we only work on obscure/useless stuff due to
lack of context), or at least have pretty much no idea what is going on.
WWN provided a very useful service to Wine by letting them get a glimpse
of the life of the project. Unfortunately, not having the skills or the
time required, I can only hope that some kind soul can fill that void
soon.

                            1 + e ^ ( i * pi ) = 0