make test drill

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Oct 10 13:03:46 CDT 2007

"H. Verbeet" <hverbeet at gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/10/2007, Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>> I think a test that fails, or crashes a system because of a driver bug is a broken test.
>> It's admittedly hard to write a test that will detect a vmware situation or driver
>> bug and work around it, but I think that is what we should do.
>>
> At that point the only real option is keeping a list of blacklisted
> video drivers (which some applications actually sort of do), but I'm
> not sure we really want to go there. I do think we should investigate
> native failures, and fix them if possible, but if tests fail because
> eg. vmware has a broken d3d implementation, I think the test is
> essentially doing what it should do.

Yes, if the code is going to break in normal use too, then it's OK for
the test to fail. It simply means the platform is useless both for
regression testing and for normal apps that use the functionality. If
we really have to add workarounds for broken drivers, this has to be
done in the code, not in the tests.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org