Have `make distclean` also remove .i and .s files

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Mon Oct 15 14:31:55 CDT 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>> After using GCC's -save-temps option to debug something, I noticed
>> that `make distclean` fails to actually remove .i and .s files.
> It would be, but I don't think we want make clean to remove all
> possible output files from all possible tools.

I would argue that these aren't output files from some weirdo tool,
but from GCC, at which point you could argue that these files are
not generated with a default ./configure ; make. ;-)

> The current list is probably too much already, it should really be
> limited to files that are generated as part of the normal build process.

Ugh, in fact that argument is already in your first mail. ;-)  Well,
I figured it's worth a try.

The GNU Coding Conventions (make distclean is a GNU invention as far
as I know) says the following:

  distclean: Delete all files in the current directory (or created by
  this makefile) that are created by configuring or building the program.
  If you have unpacked the source and built the program without creating
  any other files, `make distclean` should leave only the files that were
  in the distribution.

Any chance of you reconsidering this?

Gerald