Phoronix: Ubuntu 7.10 + WINE vs. Windows XP

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Sat Oct 20 04:21:17 CDT 2007

On Saturday October 20 2007 08:40, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> speedator wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> > new benchmark-test at phoronix.com:
> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=882&num=1
>
> Wait, they tested 3D Mark 2001 and 3D Mark 2003...
>
> Weren't those the exact same benchmarks NVidia was found to be cheating
> with by including hacks into their drivers on Windows?  No wonder they
> found Windows to be faster in the graphics tests!
>
> Can anyone find a real (ie, not rigged on Windows) benchmark to use?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

	I think that best real benchmarks is real-world applications. For example
Unreal Tournament can show performance difference between OpenGL and DirectX
in Linux and this can be compared with results on Windows. Of course there is
a lot of other good games which can be used as benchmarks.
	It would be great if someone who have both Linux and Windows on same computer
will run few games (preferably both old and new ones in order to test
performance of DirectX 7, 8 and 9) at same conditions so we can see what is
the real difference in FPS between Linux (WINE) and Windows.
	Unfortunately personally I havn't Windows installed (only in VMWare for
running Autodesk applications) because dual-boot is unacceptable option for
me and actually I havn't need in Windows at all, it just isn't technically
suitable for my daily tasks.
	But I think there is some people with dual boot configuration and modern PC
who has some games to test and enough free time to compare the results
between Windows and Linux.