Phoronix: Ubuntu 7.10 + WINE vs. Windows XP

H. Verbeet hverbeet at
Sat Oct 20 10:31:21 CDT 2007

On 20/10/2007, Scott Ritchie <scott at> wrote:
> Wait, they tested 3D Mark 2001 and 3D Mark 2003...
> Weren't those the exact same benchmarks NVidia was found to be cheating
> with by including hacks into their drivers on Windows?  No wonder they
> found Windows to be faster in the graphics tests!
> Can anyone find a real (ie, not rigged on Windows) benchmark to use?
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie
Actually, the results look pretty consistent with my personal
experience of getting about ~70% of Windows performance on average,
although the results vary quite a bit between different applications.
What I think is a bit of a shame is that they didn't test with GLSL or
FBOs, although to be fair those are non-default registry settings.