icmp states I need to be running wine as root

EA Durbin ead1234 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 21 16:55:11 CDT 2007

----------------------------------------> Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:26:58 -0700> From: juan.lang at gmail.com> To: ead1234 at hotmail.com> Subject: Re: icmp states I need to be running wine as root> CC: wine-devel at winehq.org>>> I can ping in linux without being a superuser? Isn't there another way to do this than with SOCK_RAW, or having to run wine as root?>> I think you mean the first sentence as a statement, not a question.> And yes you can, sort of: the ping executable is suid root. It runs> as root, regardless of whether you are.

Why can't the ping request be forwarded to the linux ping executable that I have the ability to run rather than trying to open a new raw socket which I don't have permission to do?