Phoronix: Ubuntu 7.10 + WINE vs. Windows XP

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Mon Oct 22 01:24:18 CDT 2007

H. Verbeet wrote:
> On 21/10/2007, Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
>> GLSL maybe, but not FBO. It causes major slowdown in most source games. And
>> I'm talking about drop to 0.1 FPS. If that can be fixed then I don't see
>> major reasons why FBO can't be the default. If anything it does fix a lot of
>> lighting and geometry related problems in number of other games.
>>
> Is that a regression? At least for HL2 & CSS it never did that for me.
> (And at least a while ago CSS stress test actually was faster with
> FBOs)
No it's not a regression. Not in Wine at least. I went back to older
versions and it still painfully slow.
Of course it could be some change in CSS. I also checked with older video
drivers and results the same.

The major slowdown comes from ... SterchRect. And even with that disabled
FBOs are still slower then default.

Vitaliy.