pdh: Remove or fix tests that fail on Windows.

Jeff Latimer lats at yless4u.com.au
Tue Oct 23 05:18:35 CDT 2007

Hans Leidekker wrote:
> On Monday 22 October 2007 14:43:59 Jeff Latimer wrote:
>
>> to test with and hence the delay.  The current patch I submitted was
>> cleaning up the Null reference issue before moving on to sorting out the
>>
> I don't see any crash on Wine or XP when running the test.
When I run
    size = sizeof(buffer) / sizeof(WCHAR);
    ret = PdhLookupPerfNameByIndexW( NULL, 674, NULL, &size );
it crashes for me in wine and XP returns PDH_INVALID_ARGUMENT.
> You are
> trying to protect against a hypothetical case where an app specifies
> a size > 0 but no buffer. XP won't accept that anyway and it's unlikely
> any app will do that on non-XP systems.

I don't accept that it hypothetical because that is the exact behaviour
the API spec encourages.  The buffer can be NULL in all circumstances.
> In fact your patch will break in another - also unlikely -
> situation where an app relies on non-XP behaviour, which is to accept
> a null buffer and size > 0 but less than the required size.

What is the result of that behaviour?  It looks to me that the only
response should be PDH_INVALID_ARGUMENT or ok with an updated size.  As
is stands pdh does neither.
> So a crash is even desirable here, because it tells us immediately
> that the app is doing something peculiar.

I don't understand this as there must be defined behaviour in this
circumstance.

Jeff