ddraw:d3d tests failing consistently

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Oct 26 16:45:58 CDT 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Stefan Dösinger wrote:

> Am Freitag, 26. Oktober 2007 15:42:18 schrieb Jakob Eriksson:
> > Agree 100%. Windows on vmware is still Windows.
> No, I do not agree with that. Using that logic, Windows on Parallels would
> still be Windows. However, Parallels uses WineD3D as their Direct3D driver.

Parallels is a bit of a special case because it does not just replace
the graphics driver, but the DirectX dlls altogether. However VMware 5.5
does not do that.

> Is Windows on Parallels still Windows then, from a d3d point of view?
>
> How about Intel chips then?

That's precisely the problem. I would add, what about Neomagic chips
then? By your reasonning there's only Windows on Nvidia and Windows on
ATI, and maybe not even the latter.

But Windows is not used on just one brand of graphics card, and our
tests should acknowledge that. The goal of our tests is to probe and
document the behavior of the Windows APIs, not the behavior of a
specific version of the Nvidia drivers.

Anyway... Can this be fixed by better checking the Direct3D
capabilities? Does the test check for some undocumented feature or a
documented one? Do we know that it works with the Nvidia, ATI and Intel
drivers? If not, then maybe it should be removed?

   Nouvelle version : les anciens bogues ont été remplacés par de nouveaux.