Tips needed for debugging Skype on Wine (Access violation)

Paul Vriens paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 08:26:28 CDT 2007

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> "Maarten Lankhorst" <m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul Vriens schreef:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get Skype 3.5.0.39 running on Wine (latest Git). The
>>> app however throws an 'Access violation at address 00593AD1 in module
>>> "Skype.exe". Read of address FFFFFFFF'.
>>>
>>> I've set set the version to XP. I do find that when I apply this
>>> "patch":
>>>
>> If I read msdn correctly, the return value you have in that little patch
>> is correct.
>>
>> Return Value
>> If the function succeeds, the return value is a nonzero value.
>> If the function fails, the return value is zero. To get extended error
>> information, call GetLastError.
>>
>> If you do 'return 1;' it should work correctly, and it should be
>> accepted into wine.
>
> Returning FALSE from IsWow64Process() indicates that there was some error,
> so the patch is no correct. Probably what should be changed is setting of
> *Wow64Process to TRUE instead of FALSE.
>
>> From MSDN:
> If the application is a 64-bit application running under 64-bit Windows,
> the Wow64Process parameter is set to FALSE.
>
> Paul, what values IsWow64Process() returns on your box? Is that 32-bit,
> or 64-bit machine?

(It wasn't meant as patch that's why I put it between quotes.)

What do you mean with "what values IsWow64Process() returns" ? This is hardcoded
in process.c

I've checked with a quick test that the return value and the PBOOL give the same
results on my Linux box (64-bit OS) as on my WinXP box (32-bit).

So I agree that the "patch" is not correct but it solves this issue (Skype
probably takes a different path on error).

--
Cheers,

Paul.