osalt.com top-requested commercial app stats

Alex Waite awaite2 at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 4 09:36:38 CDT 2007

Dan Kegel wrote:
> http://www.osalt.com/ has a list of most-requested commercial windows
> apps, currently:
>
> 1. Visio
> 2. Norton Ghost
> 3. Photoshop
> 4. Nero Burning Rom
> 5. Dreamweaver
> 6. AutoCAD
> 7. Illustrator
> 8. Access
> 9. Premiere Pro
> 10. ACDSee
>
> No idea how they generated that list, but it seems somewhat
> reasonable.  cc'ing them in case they feel like commenting
> on where that list comes from and what it means.
> (And no, I don't think Ghost will ever run on Wine :-)
> - Dan

I don't know exactly what versions of Ghost they hope to use, but at
work we have an automated imaging system that reboots into Linux,
launches Ghost via DOS emulation, reimages the machine, and then comes
back up on the newly re-imaged windows partition.  Running Ghost under
DOS emulation is actually pretty well documented around the internet.

---Alex