nhelp, Vector NTI, molecular biologists

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Fri Sep 7 05:07:41 CDT 2007

Uwe Bonnes wrote:
[...]
> Missing MFC42 and other redistributable DLLs is a showstopper for winelib
> and running windows code on non i386 archtecture...

Well, not quite. If you're going to use Winelib it means that you have
the source of the application. And if it is using the MFC it should mean
that you have a Visual Studio license, and thus the MFC sources (though
maybe that's only in the 'Pro' edition or some such). So then you should
be able to recompile the MFC using Winelib. That's exactly what I did
five years or so ago. I had to trim quite a few things but got something
that was somewhat usable. I did not pursue it further though.

Modern day MFC probably changed a bit (did it really change much?), but
then Winelib should be much better too. The real issue is the license.
In the Visual Studio 6 era, it seemed like it was legal to redistribute
the MFC dll with your non-trivial application, with no mention of the
platform. This might have changed since, and in any case that's
something you'd want to check with a lawyer.

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget at codeweavers.com