settlers 3 and dib engine

Skrzynka skrzynka365 at konto.pl
Sat Sep 8 10:25:09 CDT 2007

Hi,
I'm trying to get Settlers 3 to run on Wine. After fixing some race
condition (seems like the thread calling WaitForXXXObject was giving up
time-slice too early after the call) it seems that the only problem left
is very slow text output. What I could understand from the forum
archives is that with no DIB engine, the rendering into a DC causes
copying of the bitmap to/from server (is that correct?). I'd like to
contribute to the DIB engine if it's possible/needed, so I'd like to ask
about a few things. There were some discussion recently about an
implementation of DIB engine by Jesse Allen - what is the status of DIB
engine? I compiled winedib.drv but ExtTextOut function is missing there
and overall there are regressions visible when running Settlers 3 (wrong
colors, no text at all). Which docs/urls/sources would you recommend to
read to get some quick introduction to the DIB engine? Which particular
functions are making current impl slow? Or, in general: where to start?
Sorry for any silly questions...
Thanks & regards
  Piotr

--
----- AlphaNet - najtaniej w sieci! --------
  Odnowienia domen w rewelacyjnych cenach!