Would like to contribute to wine

Detlef Riekenberg wine.dev at web.de
Sat Sep 8 11:33:49 CDT 2007

On Di, 2007-09-04 at 08:17 +0200, Maciej Kowalczyk wrote:
> I'm looking for subject for my Master's thesis. It might be interesting to
> do something useful for Wine.

Welcome to wine.

> On this year's Google SoC I found an interesting application called
> "Windows Printing subsystem bridge (i.e. use WIN32 drivers to print from
> wine)".
> It was accepted but I can't find any information about any progress.

It works, but the code is not ready for the wine-tree yet.
The final solution must work with CreateDC("winspool",....) and need
the complete DIB-Engine.
Marcel is still working to improve his code and will start sending
patches.

> I think it is doable because Windows 2000 and later printer drivers are
> work in user-space.

Yes, that's exactly what will be supported.

> In suse repository I found ddiwrapper package. It does something similar
> but only for some Canon drivers and wraps to use by CUPS.

ddiwrapper use ghostscript to convert Postscript to a Bitmap and the
Windows Printer Driver in a modified wine ("gdi32.dll" and
"winspool.drv" where replaced) to print the Bitmap.

> Or maybe you have other ideas?

There are a lot of things in wine, that are missing and need a lot of
work.
The new Printing-Dialog (File/Print in Internet Explorer) for example
is called as PrintDlgExA/W in "comdlg32.dll", but the "General"
Propertysheet is located in "printui.dll" and the Application and the
Driver can add / change Propertysheets. The Propertysheets need many
Features (Functions / Resources / Custom controls) from "compstui.dll".
In wine we have:
-comdlg32.dll: PrintDlgEx is a stub
-printui.dll:  Only commandline-parsing for a different part of printui
-compstui.dll: Empty stub

I have no Idea what is needed / expected for the Master's thesis
(complexity, amount of work).

--

By by ... Detlef