A fix for a problem with older games

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Sep 11 14:50:23 CDT 2007

Am Sonntag, 9. September 2007 17:10:39 schrieb Martin:
That patch is not correct

Are you sure that this patch really causes a problem? If you are running the
game in winedbg and get an exception there it is a symptom of the DIB
management in winex11.drv. You can just use "pass" to pass the exception up
to the next handler(winex11.drv). The exception never reaches the app.

If you really get a crash there then This->resource.allocatedMemory is
pointing to a bad location, most likely NULL. This is a problem at some other
place and should be fixed elsewhere.

This read is a hack to work around a bug in the open source ati driver which
caused a hard system crash if an exception occured during glDrawPixels. You
can remove hack as a whole if it really causes problems, but this will cause
hard crashes for a wide range of radeon drivers(xorg 6.8 and 7.0 at least). I
think it is fixed in the latest version, but I am not sure, I'd have to test
that. Since the hack is confined in one single function and doesn't have any
side effects I decided to keep it.