carbon poker under wine

Trent Waddington trent.waddington at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 04:00:20 CDT 2007

On 9/13/07, Eric Andersen <xxxx at xxx.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if you could possibly throw me some pointers for
> getting Carbon Poker working under wine.
>
> For the record I'm using ubuntu feisty and wine 0.9.44.

I'll forward this to wine-devel, as someone else might want it.

Well, first thing you should try is building wine from the git tree.
This is painful and annoying because Linus is stupid and ugly but
there's been a lot of fixes to the crypt32 stuff recently, and you'll
need that:

git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git wine
cd wine ; ./configure ; make

etc.  You can try what I'm doing with your current version first, as
it has some of this crypt32 stuff.. so it might work.

I downloaded CarbonPoker.exe from the website, ran it with wine and it
complains that I don't have flash8 and then just sits there and does
nothing.  I don't know what it is doing, so I just went downloaded
Flash:

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe
./wine install_flash_player.exe

That installs happily.  So, running CarbonPoker.exe again..

./wine CarbonPoker.exe
err:ole:COMPOBJ_DllList_Add couldn't load in-process dll
L"C:\\windows\\system32\\Macromed\\Flash\\Flash9b.ocx"

Uhhh, ok.  Having a look in that dir I see a Flash9.ocx but no
Flash9b.ocx, what the hell?

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/Macromed/Flash/
ln -s Flash9.ocx Flash9b.ocx
cd -

./wine CarbonPoker.exe

and now it is happy and starts "Installing software..." which actually
means it is updating the stub.. which it then runs, and starts
"Installing software..." again.. You can ignore the "HTML rendering is
currently disabled" where the installer would usually be telling you
about the great benefits you get from playing Carbon Poker.

Eventually this finishes.  The installer goes away.. and after waiting
and waiting, I get bored and hit CTRL-C.  Fine, let's just run it
then:

./wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/CarbonPoker/Poker.exe

I get a "It appears the software has generated a bug.  You can
optionally submit it with comments about what you were doing at..."
and as much as I'd like to do that with something like "doesn't work
under wine" I'm going to press Cancel.  Now we're in the login screen
and it's asking me how I'd like to login, etc.  So it looks like it is
running!

Just to check, I'm closing it and running it again.. yep, I'm in the
login screen again.  It's running.

Hmm, I have a login for this game around here somewhere.. putting in
my email address and pressing "Forgot Password" gives me this error:

wine: Call from 0x7ee53f40 to unimplemented function
urlmon.dll.HlinkSimpleNavigateToMoniker, aborting

That isn't much help.  And that crashed it, so running it again..

Sidenote:

   http://www.carbonpoker.com/pass.html

is not secure.. ever heard of "denial of service" guys?

Anyway, got some login details.  Logged in, I see spam.  Click on
"Poker Tables".  Up some come.  Click on the first non-full one and
"Join Table".  And yes, I can join the table and sit down.

I'm playing Poker.

Yah.

Trent