DirectDraw opengl renderer

Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes alex at thehandofagony.com
Sun Sep 16 09:47:18 CDT 2007

Hello everyone,

I know this has been discussed before (and not that long ago), but I think I
have some wonderful new information to add to the debate of whether or not to
add an option for this in winecfg.

As I understand it, there is still a long time before the opengl renderer will
become the default one.  With Wine 0.9.45, some bugs were fixed allowing the
opengl renderer to be used for C&C Tiberian Sun, and I must say the speed
improvements are dramatic! Without any FPS tools I would definitely say
performance has increased by several hundred per cent.  Now the game is so
fast I may have to turn down the game speed setting. :)  If you move the
mouse it still slows down, though, as it does with the gdi renderer.

Anyway, I think this should apply to several other games as well (and I will
test more). But I was wondering is this is enough to add an option in
winecfg?

Alexander N. Sørnes