old dos/windows program crashing

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Mon Sep 17 08:48:44 CDT 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007, you wrote:
> On Monday 17 September 2007 15:10:39 Kuba Ober wrote:
> > > I obviously tried WINE then, but it didn't work,
> > > however, dosbox works with it (though slow, obviously)
> >
> > Wine will not be any faster. Dosbox doesn't emulate the CPU (at least
> > when run on x86 machines), it's your old good VM environment, just like
> > if you ran DOS under win9x.

> Isn't the whole point of DOSBox to emulate an old computer with all the
> necessar stuff like SoundBlaster 16?  Last I checked it had a setting to
> set the number of emulated cycles.

Hmm, I guess I was very much wrong then. I thought it was a VM thing with
virtualization of hardware. I guess the fact that I ran it long ago on 486
hardware and it was still fast enough back then made me assume it had to
execute using hardware.

I apologize for spreading misinformation around.

Cheers, Kuba