strange pixel format

Jose Osvaldo guebby at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 22:20:06 CDT 2007

The No-CD crack for "The Sims" calls to "IDirectDrawImpl_CreateSurface"
(ddls/ddraw.c) which calls to "IDirectDrawImpl_CreateNewSurface". One of
these calls passes a abnormal value for DDPixelFormat
causing "PixelFormat_DD2WineD3D" (dlls/utils.c) to
return "WINED3DFMT_UNKNOWN" (0). "IDirectDrawImpl_CreateNewSurface" returns
immediately causing the program to fail by raising an exception. In this
case, forcing the "IDirectDrawImpl_CreateNewSurface" function to continue
with other pixel format, even a not defined one, avoids the exception
and "The Sims" starts. The abnormal value is this:

dwFlags = 0x00000000
dwSize = 32
dwFourCC = 0x00000000
u1 = 0x00000000
u2 = 0x00000000
u3 = 0x00000000
u4 = 0x00000000
u5 = 0x00000000

I do not know what is the expected behaviour in real Windows. The original
executable file crashes with other error, but I think that is caused by the
anticopy protection.