The Spouse Test

Stephan Rose kermos at somrek.net
Mon Sep 24 07:25:43 CDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 00:44 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> When will Wine be good enough for the average person to use?
> One test is, "Is it good enough to let your spouse migrate to Linux
> from Windows?".
> My wife's must-have app list is roughly
>
> Microsoft Office '97
> Adobe Photoshop Elements 1
> Ulead PhotoImpact
> Macromedia Dreamweaver 8
> Musicmatch Jukebox 8
> FamilyTreeMaker 2006
>
> And you know what?  All of those basically work
> except for Photoshop Elements.  They need some
> cosmetic work, and a native DLL or two, and probably a few
> obscure bugfixes, but I think that's it.
> (I didn't test Office '97, since I expect she'll be using Crossover
> for that, as Codeweavers tests that app pretty well.)
>
> It's possible that by this time next year Wine will pass this test for me.
> - Dan

That reminds me, one of the things I personally would love to see Wine
support is Solidworks. It's about the only thing at work I still need to
boot into Windows for occasionally.

Solidworks actually installs now, it didn't earlier this year. And
actually, the most recent version of wine even allows it to run about 5
seconds longer than the previous version, which is a definite
improvement. =)

Stephan