Does MWM_DECOR_BORDER really cause window to have caption?

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Mon Sep 24 07:40:21 CDT 2007

"Kirill K. Smirnov" <lich at math.spbu.ru> wrote:

>> There is a distinct MWM hint to add a caption to a window: MWM_DECOR_TITLE.
>> If this is proved to be a KDE/XFCE bug it should be reported to an
>> appropriate bug tracking system.
>
> It's better to write pure X11 app to demonstate it, but I am not familiar with
> it :-(

You can always take a simple X11 application as a base (I usually take xev.c from
X11 sources :-) ) and add the code from winex11.drv.

> Anyway, what is the purpose of setting MWM_DECOR_BORDER to borderless window
> (style is WS_CLIPSIBLINGS only)? KDE, XFCE, fluxbox work OK without it.

If you mean the following line in dlls/winex11.drv/window.c,X11DRV_set_wm_hints()

        else if (!(style & (WS_CHILD|WS_POPUP))) mwm_hints.decorations |= MWM_DECOR_BORDER;

then you can always send a patch with an explanation why it's needed.

--
Dmitry.