[OT] Freemail Terms Of Use [was: Wine autorunner]

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 23 14:09:47 CDT 2007

On 23/09/2007, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 23. September 2007 01:42:46 schrieb Computer Dude:
> > Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger
> > http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=
> >wlmailtagline
> This is OT regarding this patch, but most people use freemailers, including
> hotmail / msn. Some service providers tried to establish some
> all-your-copyright-belong-to-us terms of service. Should we take care about
> that in any way? Either by making sure that patches aren't sent from such
> services, or to make sure that such conditions do not hold up in court?
>
> I am using gmx myself, and I haven't checked the TOS for changes since years,
> and I only gave them a 5 secound look when signing up, so I should start with
> checking that myself(I send most patches from my CW address though)

Reading the current GoogleMail terms of usage, there is this:

"Your Intellectual Property Rights. Google does not claim any
ownership in any of the content, including any text, data,
information, images, photographs, music, sound, video, or other
material, that you upload, transmit or store in your Google Mail
account.  We will not use any of your content for any purpose except
to provide you with the Service."

so there is no problem there. Also, the hotmail legal statement has this:

"8. Your Materials.

You may be able to submit materials for use in connection with the
service.  Except for material that we license to you, we do not claim
ownership of the materials you post or otherwise provide to us related
to the service (called a "submission"). However, by posting or
otherwise providing your submission, you are granting to the public
free permission to:

    * use, copy, distribute, display, publish and modify your
submission, each in connection with the service;
    * publish your name in connection with your submission; and
    * grant these permissions to other persons.

This section only applies to legally permissible content and only to
the extent that use and publishing of the legally permissible content
does not breach the law.  We will not pay you for your submission. We
may refuse to publish, and may remove your submission from the service
at any time.  For every submission you make, you must have all rights
necessary for you to grant the permissions in this section."

So you should also be fine there as well, although I do find it
interesting that according to this (if I have read it correctly),
anything that you send via hotmail is freely usable by the public!

- Reece