Recent BiDi changes

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Sep 25 11:22:48 CDT 2007

You can always browse the code at http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git

>>From memory, libwine contains mostly tables and stuff, not actual
> algorithms. Wouldn't it be better to place the tables at libwine, but
> the algorithm at uniscribe, if only to follow Window's design of things?

libwine certainly contains algorithms, but Uniscribe is a possibility
too, if it provides everything we need.

> Also, I suspect it might be necessary, at some point in the extreme
> distant future, to do some deviation from the Unicode algorithm. It's
> pretty far away, as we're talking about nuances that are hard to pick if
> you don't know your stuff, but there are places where Windows can be
> said to be either implementing an old version of the standard, or
> implementing its own idea altogether.

That's one more reason for having our own instead of using an external
library.

> My original plan was to import the fribidi code into a subdirectory of
> the wine tree, and make the necessary changes there.

I think Maarten's work shows that this is not necessary.

> On a related note - I haven't been able to get an answer to that one,
> not even through experimentation. Does anyone know whether Windows'
> Unicode is UTF-16 or UCS-2? Whether it's necessary to handle aggregates
> is crucially important when reordering characters.

Recent Windows versions do support surrogates.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org