DInput mouse - where to go from here?

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Thu Sep 27 10:23:42 CDT 2007

Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> 1) Multiple Mice. If there are 2 mouse devices, the X server manages them and
> combines them to one core pointer. These configurations are pretty common,
> for example on laptops with touchpad + usb mouse.
This is true, each mouse will have it's own device. However I have never
seen a single person who used 2 or more mice while playing games <g>

> 2) Different devices: An USB mouse creates a /dev/input/eventX node, but other
> devices, like my synaptics touchpad do not. In the worst case we need a
> driver for each mouse type, USB, serial, PS2, Synaptics, busmouse,
> logitech, ...
Not true. That's what so great about evdev driver - it's unified. Everything
is handled by the kernel, and we get common interface to things like axis
movement and buttons. I have tested this with USB and PS/2 mouse - works
properly in each case.

Vitaliy