I need help, please

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Sep 28 11:55:49 CDT 2007

Hi David,

On 28.09.2007 17:28, David Outteridge wrote:
> Thank you for the reply, Dan, a reply is appreciated.
>
> I must write that I am surprised by this response - your website seems
> to be asking for help at all levels.  I am not quite convinced that

Yes, any help is appreciated and you can help as well.

> months of work is needed (mainly because corelDRAW version 11 works);
> but maybe you know something I do not - the main point of my posting,

Dan knows more, but AFAIK the X3 version uses some interfaces which are
not implemented yet. That's the problem with quite a few new
applications, but in due time they will be supported.
Besides that, having past versions of an application working fine under
Wine unfortunately has nothing to say about newer versions of that app.
Sometimes, application internals change so much that it takes literally
a year or more to support a newer version. Look at MS Office for example.
One more thing: It may or may not be easier to get CorelDRAW 12 to
install and run first, perhaps some of the issues you have to fix there
also help for the X3 version.

> of course.  Largely, I was asking for policy information; i.e., *what*
> to do, not *how* to do it, which I feel I can handle.

Looking at your first mail, I see you indeed dived into the code and
accomplished something. My suggestion would be to post a separate mail
(if possible, with a proposed hack/patch) with a descriptive subject for
every issue you run into. Such mails are generally replied to more often
(because of the descriptive subject) than mails with the subject line of
this thread.
Another hint: You wrote that you used comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine for
questions, however that newsgroup is AFAIK a one-way gateway from mail
to news, i.e. 98% of the members of that mailing list did NOT see your
message.

> Good Luck with the project.

Thanks!

Regards,