The Spouse Test

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 21:07:20 CDT 2007

On 9/23/07, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> When will Wine be good enough for the average person to use?
> One test is, "Is it good enough to let your spouse migrate to Linux
> from Windows?".
> My wife's must-have app list is roughly
>
> Microsoft Office '97
> Adobe Photoshop Elements 1
> Ulead PhotoImpact
> Macromedia Dreamweaver 8
> Musicmatch Jukebox 8
> FamilyTreeMaker 2006
>
> And you know what?  All of those basically work
> except for Photoshop Elements.  They need some
> cosmetic work, and a native DLL or two, and probably a few
> obscure bugfixes, but I think that's it.
> (I didn't test Office '97, since I expect she'll be using Crossover
> for that, as Codeweavers tests that app pretty well.)
>
> It's possible that by this time next year Wine will pass this test for me.
> - Dan

I suppose this past week Wine has passed the "poor student test" for
me. I needed to make circuit diagrams and have a windows 95 program
called circuit maker provided by the school. Well I had a backup of my
git tree on my laptop from a few weeks ago, compiled it, ran
wineprefixcreate, installed the program, and created the circuit
diagram all without leaving the library! I've already used it again to
simulate a circuit and do another report. Now if only I could get a
better internet connection.

Jesse