Wine application compatibility

TheBlunderbuss tehblunderbuss at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 18:32:31 CDT 2007

Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
>> On Saturday 29 September 2007 10:34:19 am Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Every Wine release more and more programs start to work on Wine. A
>>>
>> serious
>>
>>> problem is that not all programs can work out of the box. Some games for
>>> instance need the windows version to be set to Windows 95 or it will
>>>
>> crash.
>>
>>> Other games like Medal of Honour need their OpenGL extension string
>>>
>> trimmed
>>
>>> to get it to work on cards which support a lot of OpenGL extensions.
>>>
>> There
>>
>>> are dozens of more examples like that.
>>>
>> The majority of Wine's options are settable via the registry and can be
>> given
>> app-specific overrides. So how about wineprefixcreate creates registry
>> entries for specific apps that are known to need special settings?
>>
>> Just need to be really really careful that an app needs the change, and
>> that
>> it's not due to a bug in Wine or something.
>>

> Yep wineprefixcreate should handle this and I think in combination with winecfg. One issue that I see is that an executable name is not unique. In case of games if multiple ones are using 'game.exe'  then there is a problem. For AppDefaults you can type the whole path but you don't know that in advance.
>
> I fear that for executable some sort of md5sum needs to be stored (there might be something like that already in the app in the form  of a product code or so) for purposes like this. We should check how microsoft handles this. Anyway I think that support in the wine loader is needed.
>
> Roderick

I agree on the checksum. There could be multiple versions of the same
program, even, as with Steam's case.
How would the registry fix work with wineprefixcreate? Would the user
checksum the target program, and then pass as an argument to
wineprefixcreate? I think it would be best to have a GUI element using
winecfg, to tell the user if there are fixes to be applied.