Pulse Audio -- Wine should have instructions on this web site

Bryan Haskins ryuzaki90 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 10:08:06 CDT 2008

I'm more interested in a direct pulseaudio gateway for Wine... since by
application sound control is the biggest thing here for most people.... wine
is treated as one big audio blob. Pulse sees it as one thing. In effect,
wine handles it's own audio (by talking with ALSA or OSS) then passes that
through to the outside sound server... which in most cases would simply be
ALSA or OSS itself, but in this case it gets passed to ALSA/OSS and through
this talks to pulse. I call that pretty messy when we could just directly
talk to pulse audio (easily, too) and have by applications control. Pulse is
going to be in pretty much every distro soon. For a 1.0 release, no one
wants to go out of their way to accomodate the shortcomings of our audio
control.

Even directly sending the blobof output to pulse directly at first would
simplify things. I know this means yet asnother audio output method to
maintain, and for various reasons many are against it. But this is similar
to us needing to improve ALSA support rather recently. Pulseaudio does
directly support ALSA, but it's a bit demanding on how it need to work to be
perfect.

ALSA, Pulseaudio, and OSS are probably the big three we need support for.
Pulse is a drop in replacement for things like Network Sound, and way easier
to configure and use.

Sorry for expanding the topic so much.