appdb needs to list 0.9.47 in the pulldown, please

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 15:49:41 CDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Chris Morgan <chmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > The appdb code currently prunes the list to several of the most recent
>  >  versions so people don't submit entries against older or obsolete
>  >  versions.
>
>  Of course.  It's just a question of the right cutoff.
>  It seems reasonable to me to include the version bundled with gutsy,
>  even if it's getting old, because gutsy is so popular.

If we wait another 18 days can we ask users of gutsy to upgrade to hardy? ;-)

 If we ask users to put the wine ubuntu repository in their
sources.list file won't that let them continue to keep up with newer
releases without much difficulty?

>  >  Is it really useful to have test results submitted such an old version
>  >  when we almost always ask users to upgrade to the latest version in
>  >  the #winehq channel or in bugzilla?
>
>  Perhaps.  Some things did run ok with it, and we have had some
>  regressions since then.

If we don't plan on releasing new versions based on the release in
gutsy, 0.9.47, then I think we've got to consider that version to be
obsolete and unsupported. It also doesn't make much sense for us to be
storing test results for older versions except so we can perform
analysis of the results. We can change the wording to be more explicit
about not submitting results from older versions.

>  >  We do mention that if their version is older than the listed version
>  >  the user should upgrade. Users that submit results with the wrong or
>  >  old version may mean well but may not be the kind of test results we
>  >  want to rely on.
>
>  Sure, but one goes to market with the users one has, not with the
>  users one wishes one had :-)
>  - Dan

I agree, we can't always choose the kind of data we get. It's up to us
to decide which test results to keep and which ones to discard.

Chris