Proposal: versioning .wine directory

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Apr 7 03:02:28 CDT 2008

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Steven Edwards wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:40 PM, TheBlunderbuss
> <tehblunderbuss at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I like it, since I already do something like this!
> >  How about a more surreptitious way of marking versions? Maybe a reg key
> >  or other file.
> >  This way, users might not be tempted to rename their ~/.wine and also
> >  keep the 1.0 transition smoother for scripts, say.
>
> Embedding the full version number maybe including the git ID of the
> source used as a string value in the Wine key should be enough.

Git commitids cannot be used for this purpose because they are not
ordered. This means you'd have no idea if
f294dda7498052dd7d3fa69d87cc539fa633217f is a pre-1.0 or not, 5 years
old or a few minutes old. So you'd never know what to do / tell the user
just based on the Git commitid.

So including the Git commitid is feasible and maybe even a good idea,
but its only use would be for developers. Even then it would be better
if it was embedded in the individual dll's version information as they
may not all come from the same codebase.

             Research is the transformation of money to knowledge.
            Innovation is the transformation of knowledge to money.
                              -- Dr. Hans Meixner