a proposed fix for bug 11690 concerning hhctrl.ocx

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 7 13:02:02 CDT 2008

Hi Jacek and James - according to git, you two are the ones last working on the part
of code which I have a possible fix for bug 11690 (see the bug report for somebody
tested okay something like this), so I'd like to see what you think of this patch, specially (and others can chip in as well...) Here is what I think:

NavigateToUrl() in hhctrl.ocx/help.c is only used by the HH_HELP_CONTEXT case in HtmpHelpW() in hhctrl.ocx/hhctrl.c - I think in some circumstances, it may return a full url, but in the case of bug 11690, it returns a "relative" one inside the same CHM,
so the code in NavigateToUrl() should drop through to look up in chm. The top part of
NavigateToUrl() is really wrong because it assumes a IWebbrowser_navigate would fail
on a relative url and drop through, but the way I see it, Iwebbrower_navigate should return the status of whether talking to IE/gecko is successful, not whether they gets "404 not found".

I have a few questions for you two:
1) is there any known case where HH_HELP_CONTEXT returns a fully formed URL? (i.e. if
this change is committed, it is going to break something else?)

2) Since NavigateToUrl is only used once (and it needs to drop through to NavigateToChm() in most cases, pending your answer question 1), wouldn't it make sense
to just remove it?

Thanks,
Hin-Tak