Including Mono within a Wine package - should Wine expect this?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Thu Apr 10 06:00:47 CDT 2008

I'm trying to decide if it's a good idea to create wine-mono and
wine-gecko packages depended on by the wine package.

wine-gecko seems easy enough: we just install a local copy of the gecko
engine, and then Wine grabs it as soon as it's needed.  I'm even
thinking of modifying wineprefixcreate to essentially do winetricks
gecko at the end, unless someone can point out how that would have bad
consequences.

wine-mono would function similarly.  Is there any reason not to install
it around wineprefixcreate time?  I'm assuming Microsoft .net or a later
mono can be installed to replace mono afterwards (if not this is
probably a bug). Even so, does this seem like a good idea?

Have any other packagers thought of something like this?  The biggest
issue at this point seems to be dealing with the fact that gecko can
only be built on Windows.  I'm not sure how to build the Windows version
of Mono either.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie