Including Mono within a Wine package - should Wine expect this?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Fri Apr 11 06:50:05 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>>  > Wine-mono on the other hand is probably premature.
>>  > How many apps are helped at the moment by
>>  >   winetricks mono12
>>  > ?  I don't think it's a large number.
>>
>>  Honestly I don't know.  Is this due to inadequacies in the current mono,
>>  or inadequacies in Wine?
>
> Mono doesn't even try to handle mixed-mode assemblies (i.e. ones
> that contain some native code).  And by gum, every .net app built
> by Microsoft tools seems to include some native code for some odd
> reason.  Go figure!

Is this true even for the Windows version of Mono?  If Mono is supposed
to be a replacement for what the .net framework provides, then it seems
like duplicating this functionality on Windows (and therefore Wine)
would be part of it.

I did some searching as for why this is the case.  This link:
http://www.jprl.com/Blog/archive/development/mono/2008/Jan-27.html
indicates that the main issue is the loader supporting PE files, which
is what Wine already does.

>>  Either way, Mono 2.0 will finally come out around the same time as Wine
>>  1.0 (quarter 2 of 2008), and I suspect the number of applications Mono
>>  helps will greatly improve by then.
>
> Maybe, but only apps that have been properly cleaned of native code.
> - Dan

Hmm...it seems like gluing Mono and Wine together would require a bit
more collaboration than the two projects have.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie