Wine malware story

Michael Ost most at museresearch.com
Fri Apr 11 12:12:26 CDT 2008

"Dan Kegel" <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> http://www.thaibrother.com/blog/?p=1047
> is a fairly thin article about malware in wine;
> it's worth mentioning only because it shows
> the issue is getting discussed more.

As Wine gains functionality --- supporting Windows services, binary
drivers, registry startup programs, etc --- it seems like it will be
more vulnerable on this score.

 From my somewhat naive point of view regarding Windows malware, I would
like to see Wine have the option of only running the app that I asked it
to and not a bunch of other stuff that gets auto-loaded and run.

An option like that could be billed as making Wine "safer" than Windows.

I'm also really glad that my Wine-based product is moving away from
running Wine as root!

Cheers... mo