Feature Request: Registry / winecfg entry for launching an application in a wineexplorer window

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 07:34:33 CDT 2008

On Monday 14 April 2008 01:39:08 am Scott Ritchie wrote:
> I have a few full screen applications that I'd like to run contained in
> small windows.  Currently, in order to run them this way, I have to
> either open winecfg and set a virtual desktop or launch the application
> on the terminal with: wine explorer /desktop=name,1024x768 app.exe
>
> What I'd like is something that does this for me similar to app
> defaults.  That way I could run the application by double clicking it
> (or from the shortcut in the start menu) and have it contained in the
> window I want.

IIRC, the problem is you can't have two Wine processes using two different
desktops. Try this: start an app without virtual desktop and leave it
running, run winecfg and turn on virtual desktop (make sure to click Apply),
then try to start another app. It won't use a virtual desktop.

I'm also not sure virtual desktop mode should be seen as a way to force
fullscreen apps into a windowed mode, because that's not what it does. The
app takes up the whole desktop still, it's just contained within a window
that Wine controls for better compatibility, like the unmanaged windows
setting.