ws2_32: Work around the host name resolving to 127.x.x.x when using that for binding.

Christoph Frick frick at sc-networks.de
Tue Apr 15 02:45:43 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:04:52PM +0200, Kai Blin wrote:

> > Binding to a specific address is the only easy way of detecting
> > which interface an UDP packet was received on since recvfrom() only
> > gives source address, not destination. Listening on 0.0.0.0 would
> > make impossible to tell which interface a packet was received on.
> > Furthermore, a program that explicitely tries to bind to each
> > interface would fail all but the first bind and possibly bail out.
> > Probably many games that use UDP would break.

does then windows actually handle also the other way around? like i
listen on 127.0.0.1:12345 in windows and i will not be able to connect
to 192.168.1.1:12345 on the same machine? i know it is "supported" - but
i have the nagging doubt, that it will not work the same way as in unix
but wine maps this behaviour as as unix would do it the same way.
IANAE...

> Which, as Christoph noted, cause windows apps to bind to loopback
> addresses, breaking the networking. This only started to happen
> recently as recently Linux distros started mapping the machine's
> hostname to a loopback address. I don't think Wine ever used the
> registry for anything like that.

not wine in its guts - the apps. wine now uses the /etc/hosts to
determine the ip of the machine and put this informations in the places,
where windows keeps them. one of this places was the registry
(.../nettrans/tcpip/... or something). some apps use this informations.
maybe

--
cu