Unimplemented ntoskrnl functions ?

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Tue Apr 15 09:19:38 CDT 2008

> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Pavel Troller wrote:
> > Hi!
> >  I'm solving the following problem:
> >  I would like to run the "Tibbo Device Server Toolkit" (TDSK) - see
> > http://www.tibbo.com/get_dst.php
> >  During installation of the product on a fresh wine (the last Sunday's git)
> > with a fresh .wine directory, it crashes with the following report:
> >
> > wine: Call from 0x7b841720 to unimplemented function ntoskrnl.exe.KeInitializeEvent, aborting
> > wine: Unimplemented function ntoskrnl.exe.KeInitializeEvent called at address 0x7b841720 (thread 0021), starting debugger...
> > Unhandled exception: unimplemented function ntoskrnl.exe.KeInitializeEvent called in 32-bit code (0x7b841796).
> >
> >  Is this function hard to implement ? I'm somewhat experienced with Linux
> > programming, but I know absolutely nothing about windoze.
> >
> > After a lot of time, if wineserver -k isn't applied, it reports another two
> > unimplemented functions - KeInitializeInterrupt and KeInitializeMutant. What
> > about these ?
> >
> > With regards, Pavel Troller
>
> Hi, Pavel!
>
> You are trying to run the Windows device driver (a virtual port
> redirector) included with the application.

Oh, I see. I actually don't want to use the device driver (Virtual Serial
Port - VSP), there is a native Linux driver for it. What I need, is to
manage the Tibbo devices, and this functionality is not available for Linux
and probably will never be.

> Wine does not really support Windows drivers - although some may load the
> functionality just isn't there. The application may run on a COM port
> supported by the operating system (Linux, etc.)

The problem probably is, that the Device Server utilizes the underlying devices
for its operation, so it cannot be used without them. It uses some "out of band
channels" to communicate with Tibbos - for example, even if the IP address of
the device is lost/spontaneously changed, it can find it using special
broadcasts, show its current config, and change it (without losing this
"service connection"). I was hoping that maybe it will work independently of the
device driver, but it probably won't.

> The installation failure is what you should aim to fix. A winedevice crash
> should not stop the installation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul Chitescu

Thank you for your valuable help! It looks that these devices are not for me
:-(.
   With regards, Pavel Troller