1.0 idea - ntdll - add a messagebox for missing dlls

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 10:50:22 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Alexandre Julliard
<julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
>  It depends which cases you are trying to catch, but for the case of
>  users starting an app from their desktop, you could probably do it in
>  start.exe.

As per our discussion on IRC, start uses CreateProcess which according
to Raymond and my own testing does not wait around and return anything
of any meaning, see

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/01/19/356048.aspx

So checking the return value and doing something like

WINE_ERR("start failed, error %d\n", GetLastError());

does not even work, let alone because if it finds the EXE there is no
error as far as CreateProcess cares. On the other had, The child
process returns an exit code such as STATUS_ENTRYPOINT_NOT_FOUND but I
don't see how to get this information from the parent process, return
it to start.exe.so and have start do something like print an error or
display a message box. Can anyone lurking point me to an example of
how to get the child's return value and pass that back to the parent?

Thanks
--
Steven Edwards