Side affects from running wineprefixcreate

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sat Apr 26 20:14:06 CDT 2008

Chris Robinson wrote:
> On Saturday 26 April 2008 05:48:35 pm Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>> At a minimum all the created
>> registry entries should not overwrite already existing ones.
>
> Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having wineprefixcreate executed,
> which is to update the registry?
>
> Not that I don't agree there could be a problem with just blindly overwriting.
> But blindly ignoring can be just as much of a problem.

That's the problem of forcefully refreshing registry. If you don't do it -
some old cruft will get in a way of new stiff. If you do - you removing
perfectly good entries that user had there.

However things like file associations should not be overwritten. Especially
that they don't work after that:

$ wine start image.jpg
wine: configuration in '/home/vitaliy/.wine' has been updated.
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000500
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the
specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: Success

Vitaliy.