widl: Add a framework for automated testing of IDL files that should succeed or fail to be parsed.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Apr 30 04:27:30 CDT 2008

Robert Shearman <rob at codeweavers.com> writes:

> The way I see it, we have a choice between having a framework that uses
> the makefile to run individual tests of the parser without checking the
> content or a framework that runs every test in one go, but is capable of
> checking the output of the generated files. The only technical advantage
> that I can think of for the former is that it allows the tests to be
> performed in parallel, but I don't know how much of a benefit that is to
> Alexandre (who will be the one doing "make test" the most).

We definitely have to be able to run tests individually from make, so
there can't be just a single script to run them all.

Still, it seems to me that most of these tests can just as well be done
in the existing framework, as part of the rpcrt4 test for instance. This
way we can not only make sure that the code compiles, but also that the
generated code builds, and works the way it should.

The only thing that can't be tested that way is obviously the code that
is expected to fail to build, and for this something like Rob's
framework would work fine, even though I'm not quite convinced that we
care that much about getting the failure cases exactly right.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org