Documentation updating / XML?

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Wed Apr 30 06:58:07 CDT 2008

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Austin English wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:25 AM, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at>
> wrote:
> > "Austin English" <austinenglish at> writes:
> >
> > > I've been working on some of the documentation, then remembered that
> > > Scott requested a move to XML:
> > >

> > > There are quite a few programs to convert SGML to XML, and I've got a
> > > bit of time to kill. Alexandre, would you accept a move to XML, or
> > > would this be a waste of time?
> Web/html/PDF/XML?

I would vote for DocBook XML so we can get Html and PDF documents out of
it. Also now po4a works quite well with it. I could give you a hand on
the po4a part.

However I'd say that there are some subtle but important differences
between DocBook SGML and DocBook XML, especially around the include
mechanism. So I'm a bit skeptical that automated tools can really
produce clean DocBook XML code. But then they can probably be a good
starting point.

It would also be nice if we could switch to a Git repository. Since
it's not possible with SourceForge it would mean moving elsewhere. Would
it be possible to have get it hosted on

Francois Gouget <fgouget at>
 Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't
                                 -- Eric Jong