What to do with tests that run for ages (examples dplayx and msi/install)

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:53:25 CDT 2008

2008/8/4 James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The recent additions to the dplayx tests make these tests run very slow (or
>> there is just a lot tested?).
>>
>> Is there a way to either split up these tests so they don't timeout or better
>> yet find out if we can run them faster. This issue can be seen on W2K upwards.
>>
>> The same can be said about the msi/install tests. This however only seems to be
>> an issue on XP and Vista.
>>

> The install tests should only take forever if you have some form of
> logging enabled.  All logging should be disabled.

My experience has been that the msi:automation tests are slower on
Vista - I suspect that this is because of logging, but could not see
an entry in the registry key you provided - even when UAC is disabled.
IIRC, logging is enabled by default on Vista.

When UAC is enabled, the tests will timeout because of the countless
number of times you have to accept the installer: yes I *do* want to
run this installer!

... but then when UAC is enabled, almost everything fails!

- Reece