dplayx tests hanging

Rob Shearman robertshearman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 09:39:00 CDT 2008

2008/8/10 Ismael Barros <razielmine at gmail.com>:
> On 8/10/08, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ismael,
>> have a look at
>> http://test.winehq.org/data/tests/dplayx:dplayx.html
>> Since your commits on the 4th of Aug, the dplayx tests have been hanging.
>> This is getting in the way of my regression testing.
>> Can you have a look?
>> Thanks,
>> Dan
>>

> Are they really hanging or taking too long? Dplay is quite slow and
> the tests are intensive so they take a lot of time. They take 7
> minutes in my XP and some seconds in wine.
>
> Anyway I'll try to see if there's any way of speeding them up, I'm
> sorry for the hassle.

Taking 7 minutes is too long, even if it is only on Windows. Perhaps
you could run each test that depends on network latency in a separate
thread. This could cause problems with the test output being printed
in a weird order as several tests will be running at once, but the
number of failures should typically be low and it should the tests to
complete faster.

> Maybe the best solution is to remove dplay tests until I've finished
> implementing the library, as right now they are useful only for me,
> and a problem for the rest.

Please keep them - having the tests running reliably on Windows before
implementing the functions they test is very useful as it ensures that
no one is going to introduce obviously incorrect code when
implementing the functions.

--
Rob Shearman