How to use wine to load windows dll files ?

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Mon Aug 18 00:27:41 CDT 2008

Gregory Hosler wrote:
> Upon investigation, I've discovered that many of the routines that I'm linking
> against are not in libwine.so, but instead, they are in other libraries. e.g.
> /usr/lib/wine/user32.dll.so, /usr/lib/wine/winmm.dll.so, and a few others.
>

> I would like to know how to link to and make use of these routines in the
> respective wine libraries. I'm willing to write any stub code that might need to
> be written, but I cannot find any documentation of what needs to be done.

This topic keeps coming back every other week. The simple answer - no you
can't link your native Linux program against Wine "libraries" and expect it
to work.

The long answer - Wine is not just set of libraries but an environment that
have to be setup for windows applications (and Wine itself) to run properly.
 This includes "kernel"(wineserver), memory layout, files, registry, user
objects, gdi, on and on and on.

If you need only one small part from Wine - just take the code and adapt it.
This is what mplayer did.

Vitaliy.