New kernel development guide might be good model for Wine...

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 12:53:56 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Markus Hitter <mah at jump-ing.de> wrote:

> Am 18.08.2008 um 11:25 schrieb Michael Stefaniuc:
>
>> He [Alexandre] doesn't scale at replying to trivially "wrong"
>> patches but everybody
>> can reply to those and actually they should do that.
>

> Unfortunately, a developer can't review his patches himself and if
> the patch reviewing group is to busy to even drop a line "formatted
> wrongly" or "functionality not needed" it's unlikely new developers
> will ever pick up working for Wine. For now I've stopped my work as I
> haven't even an idea wether my patches will be applied some day,
> wether they were considered obsolete (they're small) or wether they
> are considered as wrong in some way. Worsely, there's no obvious way
> to learn how to do better as I followed the patch sending HowTo
> closely already.

Why can't a developer review his own patch?  If your patch is not
committed, the first thing you should do is look the patch over for
obvious mistakes.  That is the main reason why a patch is dropped.  If
you've made sure you're patch is clean, then you can ask on wine-devel
or IRC why your patch was rejected.  It's your patch and it's your
responsibility to put in the amount of work required to get it
accepted.  It's the same process for everyone.

--
James Hawkins