[Patch] 0001-Support-for-winscard.dll.patch

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Aug 23 11:06:20 CDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 8:45 AM, frechdachs69 <frechdachs69 at sofortsurf.de>
> I am trying to prepare the winscard.dll stuff for an application written by
> me. Probably I can extract some smartcard-using code (after my application
> works) as a conformance test.

It's a common misconception that tests should be
written after the code.   In Wine, it's best to write
them *before* the code, and get the tests working
on Windows.  You can even submit the tests first
before even starting on the code.   Incremental
development - improve the tests a bit, then fix the
code to pass the tests - is a good way to go.
Initial tests can be really trivial, just checking superficial
error behavior.
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development
Believe it or not, this makes development go faster!

> The first task to make my application run is being able to list the smartcard
> readers attached to the system. So far I only get the name of the smartcard
> reader. But I also need vendor, user friendly name, serial number, model and
> whether a smartcard is present. Still missing ...
> This may be due to my patch or to things missing in or not understood in
> pcsc-lite - not clear so far.

That's good to know.  Next time you submit the patch,
include a three-line summary of the above, say.   Also
mention which functions you're improving, and how
complete they are.

> Okay. Shall I offer a new patch? How to do this then? Is this the only problem
> with the patch (syntactically)? To mention ... I am a git rookie ...

The subject line should have said something like
  winscard: implement first few functions
When you repost after improving a patch, append (try 2) to the subject, e.g.
  winscard: implement first few functions (try 2)

but I would include a couple tests when you resend; mark
them with todo_wine if they don't pass yet on Wine.
- Dan