Using wine directdraw dll on windows?

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Sat Aug 23 21:38:07 CDT 2008

> Intel's windows vista graphics drivers are pretty terrible, and some
> older directdraw games won't run at all with them. I know that there
> was
> talk before about using wine's opengl-based direct3d implementation on
> windows, so I was curious if it was at all possible to do the same with
> directdraw. Ironically Worms Armageddon runs better on my laptop under
> wine than it does on my gf's under Vista.
Our d3d implementation works pretty well on Windows(well, as good as it does
on Wine), with the exception of directdraw. The problem with ddraw is that
ddraw.dll needs wined3d.dll, which loads opengl32.dll, and Microsoft's
opengl32.dll loads ddraw.dll. Oops.

Currently we have no real attacking point to this issue.