Implementing textures functions of d3dx using an extern library.

Jérôme Gardou jerome.gardou at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 16:50:32 CDT 2008

D3DX supports a wide range of file types for textures. Instead of
rewriting everything from scratch, the best would certainly be to use
some image processing library to handle them. As a bonus, this would
allow lighter code.

Some of those library are :
SDL_Image : easy to use, but loading an image using a SDL_Surface is
quite heavy. Moreover, the files supported are not enough for d3dx.
MagickWand/MagickCore, the libraries on which imagemagick is based :
Hard to use, and very heavy. Supports every format thet d3dx supports.
FreeImage : Quite easy to use, the only files not supported are DIB and
PFM... Not so widely represented. I had to recompile it, as packages for
it are not available for 32 bits. (I use a 64 bits ubuntu system).

Here is an implementation of D3DXGetImageInfoFromFileInMemory using
FreeImage.

Suggestions and comments are welcomed.

PS : Please CC me your potential answers, as I'm not a subscriber of
this list.