wineconsole: Wait on events in curses backend using select instead of poll

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Mon Dec 1 03:57:43 CST 2008

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Kai Blin wrote:

> On Sunday 30 November 2008 00:52:57 Martin Storsjö wrote:
>> poll can't handle terminal devices on Darwin, since Tiger. See the
>> following discussion:
>> http://lists.apple.com/archives/Darwin-dev/2006/Apr/msg00066.html
>
> There's reasons we switched from select to poll. You can't just switch back to

As far as I can tell from the history of curses.c, it never used select
(directly) before, it used WaitForMultipleObjects, which was changed into
a poll in 267d38e1bc78541221d20cc72a759acc78908e8e, "wineconsole: Don't
use a Win32 wait on a Unix file descriptor."

But there may of course be other reasons for using poll, which I don't
know about.

> select to work around a OSX _bug_. If Apple can't get their act together to
> fix this, this needs to go behind a configure check/ifdef.

Yes, that's true.

I'm not too familiar with the wine codebase and customs, so instead of
nagging you with questions on what a proper solution would look like,
should I just file a bug with the actual issue; that the curses based
console is unusable on Darwin at the moment?

// Martin